Beth of Hungry Happenings says these festive, football shaped appetizers are a ton of fun to make with a group. "They are the perfect party food for football fans who want to enjoy something out of the ordinary at their Super Bowl parties."
- 2 medium size zucchini
- 1 carrot
- 1 large russet potato
- 1 medium onion
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil, plus more if needed
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Football shaped cookie cutter
- Peel the zucchini, carrot, potato, and onion.
- Shred all the vegetables using a cheese grater or a food processor fitted with a shredding attachment. Place in a strainer and let sit for 10 minutes. Press down on the vegetables, allowing excess water to drain off. I used a salad spinner and spun the vegetables dry, which worked perfectly.
- Pour shredded vegetables into a mixing bowl. Sprinkle the flour and salt over the shredded vegetables. Toss to coat. Add eggs and mix until well combined. As you work, if you have a lot of excess moisture, drain it off.
- Heat 1 cup vegetable oil in a 12" non-stick pan until it reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Set your metal football shaped cookie cutter down on a spatula/turner. Fill the cookie cutter with a spoonful of the zucchini mixture. Press down to create a 1/4 inch thick football.
- Carefully slide the filled cookie cutter into the oil, lifting the cutter, allowing the football shaped mixture to gently glide into the pan. I recommend using metal tongs to do this job. Move quickly, don't allow the cookie cutter to get really hot or it will begin to cook the filling as you create your next football fritter. Wipe the cookie cutter clean, often.
- Once you have fried your football shaped zucchini fritters, set them on paper towels to drain off excess oil. I also pat the tops with paper towels to really remove as much oil as possible.
To decorate fritters
- Fill a disposable pastry bag, optionally fitted with a small round decorating tip, with plain Greek Yogurt or just use a zip top bag with a small hole cut in one tip. Pipe laces and stripes onto each football fritter.
- Fritters can be made a few days ahead of time then stored in airtight container before decorating and serving. When you are ready to serve them, place them on a baking sheet and heat them in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes, until heated through.