If you look at the list of ingredients of a typical commercial gravy, you’ll realize that most contain several ingredients that you would likely rather avoid, such as the flavor enhancers disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate. Luckily, it’s very easy to make a delicious, wholesome homemade gravy. See more at HealthyRecipesBlogs.com.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Cup beef broth, heated in microwave for 30 seconds
- 1 Tablespoon brandy
- 1 Tablespoon heavy cream
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat, about 3 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring often, about 15 minutes, until the onions are very soft and golden brown.
- Add the flour, salt and pepper, mixing in with a wooden spoon, then add the warm beef broth and the brandy, mixing with a wooden spoon to combine. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring often, until thickened. Off the heat, mix in the cream.