Who needs those ginger snaps from a box when you can whip up your very own ginger & molasses beauties at home with this recipe from TheKitchenIsMyPlayground.com?
- 1 Cup brown sugar
- 3/4 Cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/4 Cup molasses
- 2 1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 Cup granulated sugar (for rolling the dough balls)
- In a large bowl, mix brown sugar, shortening, egg, and molasses until thoroughly combined. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves; stir dry ingredients into molasses mixture. Cover and chill the dough for 1 hour.
- Place granulated sugar in a small bowl. Roll dough into walnut-sized balls; roll each ball in granulated sugar. Place on a very lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for a total of 9 - 12 minutes. Part way through baking (see times below), gently shake the cookie sheet and lightly press down on the tops of the baking cookies to produce a crinkled, cracked surface. (FOR LOTS OF SMALL CRINKLES: press cookies down after about 5 minutes of baking. FOR LARGER CRINKLES: Press cookies down after about 7 1/2 minutes of baking. Then continue baking until the total baking time of 9 - 12 minutes is done).