If you thought bread pudding couldn't get any more luscious, you haven't tried this version that features a creamy, rich chocolate sauce.
- 8 slices Nature's Own Butterbread
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (60% cacao), coarsely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons softened butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Whipped topping (optional)
- Strawberries or raspberries for garnish
- Combine milk, sugar, chocolate, 2 tablespoons butter and salt in medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, 12 to 15 minutes or until chocolate and butter are melted. Remove from heat; cool 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 2-quart casserole with softened butter.
- Cube bread and layer evenly in prepared casserole.
- Beat eggs and vanilla in medium bowl. Stir into milk mixture.
- Pour milk mixture over bread. Gently press bread cubes with fingertips until all are moistened.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until puffy and center is set.
- Serve warm with whipped topping, if desired. Garnish with berries.