A savory mix of hearty autumn vegetables with toasted Marcona almonds.
- ¼ cup Marcona almonds
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and seeded
- 1 small acorn squash, peeled seeded
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled
- 1 turnip, peeled
- 1 small celery root, peeled
- 1 large golden beet, peeled (leaves reserved for garnish)
- 1 small yam, peeled
- 2 medium shallots, peeled, each cut into 3 pieces
- ¼ of cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Zest from ½ lemon
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
Sage Garlic Brown Butter
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 1 clove finely chopped garlic
Prepare the toasted almonds
- Preheat oven to 375F. Place the Marcona almonds on a baking sheet and toast for 5 minutes, or until they turn golden brown in color. Remove from oven and once cool enough to handle, roughly chop.
- Slice the squashes, parsnip, turnip, celery root, and beet into 6 wedges each.
- Individually toss each vegetable with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper then transfer the vegetables a roasting pan – making sure the beets and the turnips stay together because they will have to roast longer.
- Toss the shallots with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and distribute on the roasting pan.
- Roast until the squash and parsnips are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove all vegetables, with the exception of the beets and the turnips, from the roasting pan, transfer to a platter, and cover with foil. Place the beets and the turnips back into the oven and roast for an additional 20 minutes.
- While turnips and beets continue to roast, melt the butter in a small pot set over medium heat and allow to cook until golden brown.
- Add the garlic, sage and chopped almonds and remove from heat and whisk in the red wine vinegar.
- Once turnips and beets are fully roasted, add them to the platter. Drizzle the vegetables with the sage brown butter and chopped nuts.
- Garnish with reserved beet leaves and lemon zest and serve in the center of the table.