This dish is fun play on words of the American children's story, Green Eggs & Ham, and offers my personal spin on both the name of the dish as well as the classic ingredients incorporated into it. The dish is composed of fresh summer asparagus that is topped with a soft poached egg, crumbled pancetta and crispy tater tots. It's a perfect brunch dish for diners looking to spice up the typical, and often boring, poached eggs.
For plating the final dish:
- 3 Jumbo asparagus
- 2 Homemade tater tots
- 1 Poached egg
- 1 teaspoon Japanese Kewpie mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dashi soy sauce
- 1 Parmesan cheese slice (thinly grated)
- 2 Thin slices of pancetta (baked until crispy)
- Black pepper (to taste)
For the tater tots:
- 1 Idaho potato (per person)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 Egg yolk
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Black truffle oil (optional)
For the Dashi soy sauce:
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3 teaspoon Japanese Mirin
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Dashi soup stock
- 1 teaspoon Japanese Bonito flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Pierce potato and microwave for 2 min, until fully cooked.
- Peel skin off potato then grate with cheese grater.
- Add rest of tater tot ingredients to grated potato and mix.
- Press mix onto sheet tray and freeze. When frozen, cut into 6-inch long tots.
- Put liquid ingredients together into the pot and heat up until boil.
- Add bonito flake. Wait 30 min and strain with sports towel.
- Add xanthan gum, stir until dissolved and let cool.
- Steam asparagus 5 min with olive oil and salt.
- Fry frozen tater tots until crispy.
- Drizzle mayo and Dashi soy onto plate.
- Plate asparagus, tater tots, poached egg and panchetta. Season with black pepper. Grate parmesan on top. Serve.
About Chef Masaharu Morimoto
Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto has garnered critical acclaim for his seamless integration of Western and Japanese ingredients. His esteemed restaurants in Philadelphia, Mumbai, New York, Napa, Honolulu, New Delhi, Waikiki and Mexico City have won various accolades, including a James Beard Foundation Award for “Outstanding Restaurant Design” for Morimoto New York and Food & Wine’s “Best U.S Restaurant Openings” list for Morimoto Napa. Most recently, Morimoto opened Tribeca Canvas, a bistro-style restaurant located in New York. Next, Chef Morimoto will expand his culinary empire to The Mirage hotel in Las Vegas and The Andaz Maui at Wailea resort in Maui.