In this edition of Meatless Monday, artichoke hearts and fresh baby spinach top a whole wheat pita round coated with pesto. These pita pizzas quick to prepare and can be made in your toaster oven. This recipe comes from Jen of Appetite for Conversation.
For the basic basil pesto:
- 1/2 cup well-packed basil leaves
- 1/6 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/8 cup parmesan cheese, grated
To complete the spinach artichoke pita pizza:
- 1 Round piece whole wheat pita bread
- 1 tablespoon pesto
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach, washed
- 1/2 cup artichoke hearts, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup part-skim mozzarella, shredded
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, shredded
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place the basil, olive oil, garlic, black pepper and Parmesan together in a food processor. Process until smooth and set aside.
- Spread the pesto on the pita bread round. Save the leftover pesto in the refrigerator and use as a spread or dip.
- Top the pesto pita with the spinach, artichoke hearts, mozzarella and parmesan. Season with black pepper.
- Place the pita pizza into a toaster oven or under a preheated broiler for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the artichoke hearts begin to turn golden brown.