Here’s a no-cook “salad soup” to keep in mind for the dog days of summer. It’s naturally low-fat and vegetarian. From food writer and stylist Lisa Cherkasky, who styled much of the food that was photographed for the Food section in the 1990s and early 2000s. This recipe was published in August 1995.
- 3 Cup seeded fully ripe watermelon chunks, very thoroughly pureed (to yield 2 1/4 cups)
- 3 Cup seeded and finely diced fully ripe watermelon
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced ( 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 Cup peeled and finely diced jicama
- 1 to 4 jalapeno peppers, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- Freshly squeezed juice from 2 or 3 limes (1/3 cup)
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Combine the watermelon puree, diced watermelon, red onion, jicama, jalapeno (to taste) garlic, lime juice, and red wine vinegar in a large bowl. Season with salt to taste. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
- MAKE AHEAD: The soup needs to be refrigerated (to blend flavors) for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.