If you're looking for a way to spice up the hot dogs at your backyard BBQ this summer, think “south of the border.” Bacon-Wrapped Sonoran Hot Dogs load all the flavors of the old Southwest inside a single bun. The refried beans, avocado salsa and Mexican crema (don’t forget the bacon) are layered high. Throw some jalapenos on top just for fun. The Sonoran Hot Dog is a long-time Tucson favorite that has locals waiting in line under the hot desert sun to get their hands on one. What they don’t tell you is this fast and easy recipe will get you away from the smoky grill in time to join the fun.
- 1 Package (10) of your favorite hot dogs (I use Hebrew National)
- 10 Slices of Bacon
- 10 Good quality buns, lobster rolls or other soft rolls
- 3 Medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 Medium onion, diced
- 1/2 Bunch cilantro, minced
- 2 Avocados, peeled and diced
- 2 Limes, juiced
- 1 cup Mexican creme (or mayonnaise thinned with 1 to 2 tablespoons milk)
- Additional cilantro for garnish, optional
- Wrap one piece of bacon around each hot dog and secure on each end with a toothpick. Refrigerate until ready to grill.Open cans of beans and heat to a simmer. Drain beans in a strainer over a medium sized mixing bowl, keep warm.
- Toss diced tomatoes, onions and cilantro together to make a pico de gallo, set aside. Grill bacon wrapped hot dogs over medium heat until bacon is crispy on all sides, but not burned. Make sure to cook slowly and turn the dogs often so that the hot dogs are heated through by the time the bacon crisps, about 10 minutes.
- Spoon the Mexican creme or mayonnaise mixture into a ketchup type squirt bottle. Dice avocado and toss with lime juice. Toss into the tomato mixture.
- Assemble the hot dogs by spooning beans into the bottom of the hot dog bun. Add the cooked hot dog and top with the avocado pico de gallo.
- Drizzle Sonoran Hot Dogs with mayonnaise and garnish with a sprig of cilantro.