Eggplants and onions are caramelized in the oven then refreshed with a sprinkling of lemon juice and chives. This recipe comes to us from Cara Eisenpress and Phoebe Lapine of Big Girls, Small Kitchen.
- 2 Medium eggplant, quartered & cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 Red onions, quartered & cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoon chives
- 1 Loaf sourdough or country white bread, cut into 12 slices
- Preheat an oven to 450. Prepare a baking sheet with a layer of parchment paper or foil.
- Toss the eggplant, onion, olive oil and salt together in a large bowl. Spread the coated veggies on the prepared baking sheet in 1 layer. Shake the pan to make sure the vegetables lie flat and have the maximum possible surface area exposed.
- Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until the veggies become soft and fragrant. With a spatula, flip the vegetables so that they brown on the opposite side. Return the baking sheet to the oven for another 10-20 minutes or until the vegetables are caramelized and browned.
- Transfer the caramelized vegetables to a large bowl and toss with the lemon juice and chives until thoroughly coated.
- Lay 6 slices of bread on a work surface. Slather bread with spread, if using, and close the sandwiches.