This is my “go-to” burrito when I step up to the press. The steak is marinated with Guajillo peppers, which match perfectly with the steak. When used in moderation, the Guajillo pepper supplies an inviting, spicy kick to your steak without taking away from the natural beef flavor. The pepper also supplies a light richness to the flavor as it marinates. Also, I love the texture of the diced onion and tomato in the pico.
- 4 large burrito tortillas
For Cilantro-Lime Rice:
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Garlic clove
Ingredients for Black Beans:
- 1 16 ounce can black beans
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 Small onion chopped
- 1 Clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for Guajillo Chile Marinade for Steak:
- 4 Guajillo chilies
- 1/4 Lime juiced
- 1 teaspoon cumin (ground)
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon ground Mexican cinnamon
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 24-30 ounce thin slices of the eye of round cut
Ingredients For Pico de Gallo:
- 1 Medium tomato diced
- 1/8 Red onion finely minced
- 1/8 Jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/8 Lime juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Salt to taste
Ingredients For The Burrito:
- 2-6 ounce white cheddar cheese
- 8 ounce sour cream
- 1 Small red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 Small green pepper, julienned
- 1/2 of 1 Small red onion, julienned
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Bring the rice, water and chicken bouillon to a boil in a saucepan over high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender (roughly 16-18 minutes).
- In a blender combine the garlic and cilantro in food processor, blending until smooth.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add lime juice, cilantro, salt and garlic.
- In a saucepan combine beans, onion and garlic, bringing to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add pepper, salt, oregano, red pepper flakes and cumin.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, allowing flavors to blend.
- Blend all ingredients in blender for roughly 3 minutes.
- Pour sauce ingredients into sauce pan and cook on low for 25 minutes.
- Let the sauce cool down and the marinate the steak in the sauce overnight.
Pico de Gallo:
- In a bowl combine tomato, onion, jalapeno pepper, lime juice, garlic powder, pepper and salt. Refrigerate for 3 hours.
For The Burrito:
- Toss all the vegetable ingredients together in large mixing bowl. Then grill the marinated steak with the vegetables around it while it cooks. Grill the marinated steak to a point where it's still pink in the middle. At this time remove the vegetables as well and set aside. Cut the steak into long strips. Next dice the steak into medium size cubes no smaller than the width of your pinky finger. Place the rice, beans, vegetables, steak, cheese, pico de gallo and sour cream in the center of the tortilla. With a small plastic spatula, thoroughly mix the ingredients together in a folding motion. Bring the mixed ingredients to the center of the tortilla and roll your burrito!