This sweet cucumber cocktail is the perfect refresher for a warm, sunny afternoon, relaxing on the porch, visiting with friends or just enjoying a good book. It can be made with or without the vodka, and is a real crowd pleaser either way. If you’re not sure about cucumber as the primary flavor of a cocktail, then just add a couple slices of cucumber to a glass of sparkling water or tap water and let it sit for a few minutes. When you take a sip, you’ll be quite surprised at how good water can taste. Now add a little sweetener, mint, vodka, and lime and you have the perfect afternoon cocktail.
The first time I had this cocktail was when my brother-in-law made me oneusing a recipewritten on a bar napkin he had in his wallet. Why he was carrying it around in his wallet, I’ll never know. I fell in love with the cocktail immediately. The following recipe is very close to the original except for the addition of the mint and an increase in the amount of cucumber. It’s delicious with or without the vodka, or even with or without the sparkling water. For me it’s all about the cucumber and the mint, so changing up the other ingredients to fit the mood, makes this a very versatile little cocktail.
- 2 Ounce vodka (4 Tbsp. or ¼ cup)
- 3/4 Ounce agave nectar (1 ½ Tbsp.)
- 1/2 Ounce lime juice (1 Tbsp.)
- 4 Sprigs of mint
- 8 Slices of cucumber
- Club Soda or sparkling mineral water
- Place the vodka, agave nectar, 2 sprigs of mint and 4 slices of cucumber in shaker with ice.
- Shake and strain into 2 tall highball glasses filled 3/4 with ice and a couple slices of cucumber.
- Top off with Club Soda or sparkling water. Gently stir to blend in the sparkling water.
- Top each glass off with a sprig of mint.