At NYC's brunch standy-by The Smith waffles make a savory debut. Fluffy potato waffles are topped with perfectly poached eggs and smothered with caramelized onions and house-made spinach pesto. Chef/Owner Glenn Harris loves this dish because it's a playful twist on a classically sweet stand-by.
- 2 Idaho potatoes (grated)
- 2 tablespoon Spanish onion (grated)
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- pinch salt & pepper
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
Creamed Spinach/ Caramelized Onion Sauce
- 2 cup cream
- 2 cup blanched spinach
- 1/2 cup caramalized onions
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper (use salt sparingly because of the natural saltiness of the parmesan)
- Coarsely grate potato and onion and add all ingredients to a food prep (robot coupe).
- Add batter to waffle iron and cook until golden brown.
- Make sure you spray the waffle iron first with a non-stick spray.
- In large frying pan, over medium heat add two cups of cream and reduce by half then add the rest of the ingredients, stirring until well mixed.
- Place two poached eggs on top of waffle then liberally drizzle sauce over eggs.