This recipe is from Xiaolu of 6 Bittersweets via Meatless Monday. Brown lentils are cooked in cinnamon infused vegetable stock and seasoned with cumin, paprika and coriander. Fresh parsley, mint and pomegranate seeds refresh to balance these spiced lentils served atop a golden crust of puff pastry.
- 3 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1/2 Cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 Red chili, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 2 tablespoon warm water
- 1 Sheet puff pastry, thawed and rolled out
- 1 Egg, lightly whisked
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 Red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 cup fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 1/2 cup tahini paste
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon pomegranate, seeded
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring the stock, lentils, bay leaves and cinnamon stick to a gentle simmer in a large pot over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender and the broth has been absorbed. Set aside.
- Grind the peppercorns, salt, cumin, paprika, chili and coriander seeds together in a mortar or pestle to form a fine spice powder.
- Pour the pomegranate molasses in the warm water and stir to combine.
- Lay the thawed puff pastry onto a baking tray. Carefully scour a 1 inch border around the edges of the pastry using a small knife. Brush a layer of egg on all edges of the puff pastry border.
- Place the baking sheet into the oven and bake for about 10 minutes, or until the pastry has just begin to puff and turn golden. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Place 1 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook the onion for 4-6 minutes, or until soft. Add the cooked lentils and ground spice mixture to the pan. Stir with a spatula and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add the pomegranate molasses water mixture and pine nuts to the pan. Mix and continue cooking the lentils for about 3-5 minutes, or until they are just beginning to brown and stick to the bottom of the pan. Add the parsley and half the mint and stir through the lentils.
- Spoon the lentil herb mixture onto the prebaked puff pastry. Sprinkle the sumac over the top. Return to the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until the pastry is golden.
- Whisk the tahini paste, remaining tablespoon of olive oil, water and lemon juice together in a separate small bowl.
- When the tart has finished cooking, remove from the oven and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and remaining half of the mint.
- Cut the tart into 8 pieces and enjoys alongside the tahini and lemon wedges.