This is a recipe of pumpkin infused with various spices which have anti- inflammatory properties. My mother makes this dish on festive days and serves it with poori and yogurt. The flavors of this dish are not very overpowering rather it feels very soothing on the palate.
- 1 pound yellow pumpkin
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black onion seeds/ nigella (optional)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 Inch piece ginger, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Peel the outer skin of the pumpkin and cut it into small cubes. Heat the oil in a skillet.
- Add mustard, cumin and black onion seeds. When the seeds begin to crackle, add the onions and ginger. Stir fry till they become little brownish in color.
- Mix in turmeric powder. Fry for 2 minutes till the raw taste is gone. Now add the pumpkin and stir fry till it is cooked.
- Add salt, sugar and water and cook for 5-7 minutes so that it becomes nice and mushy.
- Serve it with poori, roti or parantha bread.
Parul Mehra is a food bloggger who specializes in creating Indian family dishes handed down from generations. She focuses on recipes that are based on ingredients used in everyday home and works to remove the fear factor that people associate with Indian cuisine.