You won't believe that these decadent PB&J on French toast sandwiches are less than 400 calories each.
- 2/3 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 8 (1-ounce) Slices white whole-wheat bread
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves
- 6 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium shallow dish, stirring well with a whisk. Place bread slices on a flat surface. Spread 2 tablespoons preserves over each of 4 bread slices, and spread 11 ⁄2 tablespoons peanut butter over each of remaining 4 bread slices. Assemble sandwiches.
- Carefully dip 2 sandwiches in milk mixture, turning to coat. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 11 ⁄2 teaspoons canola oil to pan; swirl to coat. Place coated sandwiches in pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until toasted. Remove sandwiches from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining 2 sandwiches, milk mixture, and oil. Sprinkle powdered sugar evenly over sandwiches; cut each sandwich in half diagonally.
About Cooking Light Crave!
Cooking Light Crave! is stuffed with classic handheld and indulgent foods you love: Cheesy pizzas, juicy burgers, sandwiches piled high, and decadent sweets. Lightened recipes turn these nutritional no-no’s into eats you can enjoy.