This recipe comes from Top Chef’s Fabio Viviani via Meatless Monday. Butternut squash and black beans are spiced with both ancho and chipotle chili powders in this hearty winter warmer. This squash spin on an American classic proves the adage “if you think chili needs meat, you don’t know beans!”
- 2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 Onion, diced
- 4 Cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Ancho chili powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground chipotle chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 Cups vegetable broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes with green peppers
- 4 Teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 Cup chopped cilantro
- Place the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the butternut squash and onion and cook for about 4 minutes, or until the onion softens slightly.
- Season with the garlic, chili powders, cumin and salt. Stir to ensure the spices are evenly distributed and cook for about 30 seconds more, or until they become fragrant.
- Add the stock and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the butternut squash is tender.
- Add the beans, tomatoes and lime juice to the pot. Increase the heat to high; then cook for about 4-5 minutes, or until the sauce is slightly reduced. Remove from heat, stir in the cilantro and enjoy!
- •Servings per Recipe: 4 •Amount per Serving •Calories: 214 •Calories from Fat: 68 •Total Fat: 8g •Saturated Fat: 1g •Cholesterol: 0mg •Sodium: 79mg •Total Carbohydrates: 39g •Dietary Fiber: 8g •Protein: 4g •Sugars: 8g