Brown lentil and potato patties with onion and ginger.
Lentil kebabs are a good source of protein and a good choice for vegetarians. These are very rich in texture. Put them in between two slices of bread, flatten them a bit and you have a very tasty sandwich. I have even open grilled this sandwich to give the bread a crisper crust. You can have it with some green chutney and a hot cup of tea.
- 1/2 cup brown lentils (Masoor Dal)
- 1 Large Potato, boiled and mashed
- 1/3 cup Dry Mashed Potatoes, from the packet
- 1 Small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chaat masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoon vegetable oil for frying
- Cook the lentils with little water till nice and mushy. Don't add too much water as it will be difficult to bind it later. Set aside to cool. It will become thick. Mix all the ingredients together except the oil and roll out small balls.
- Flatten them a little bit and roll them in the bread crumbs. You can make it straight away or could refrigerate it for future use.
- When ready to serve, heat the oil in a nonstick pan and fry them for 2 minutes on each side or till they are nicely brown. Serve with some green chutney.
Parul Mehra is a food bloggger who specializes in creating Indian family dishes handed down from generations. She focuses on recipes that are based on ingredients used in everyday home and works to remove the fear factor that people associate with Indian cuisine