The Barclay Organic Salad with Candied Walnuts with honey vinaigrette and shaved parmesan was included in the InterContinental New York Barclay's Honoring the Honey tasting menu. The cook time reflects making the candied walnuts and the dressing.
For the salad
- 10 ounce organic mesclun
- 4 ounce walnuts
- 2 ounce brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shaved parmesan
- Salt and white pepper
For the vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup duck fat
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 ounce mixed spices including Juniper berry, star anis, cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup demi glace
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Warm duck fat in a small pan, add olive oil, infuse with spices and herbs, remove from heat and let stand for one hour. Strain to remove spices and herbs. In another sauce pan, boil honey until dark in color. Deglaze with demi glace and cook slowly for 20 minutes. Let sauce cool, and with hand mixer add mustard first, then blend in duck fat and olive oil mixture until dressing has smooth consistency.
For candied walnuts:
- Place walnuts on sheet pan, roll them with brown sugar and place in oven at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes until sugar and walnuts are one. Once cooled, the walnuts are candied.
- Mix mesclun with vinaigrette, add salt, pepper and candied walnuts arrange on plate and top with sliced parmesan.
Trained in French, Asian, and Caribbean cuisine, Chef Serge’s 24-year career is benchmarked by exceptional culinary creation, kitchen and service team management and quality performance. He successfully opened new restaurant operations including Les Arcs 1800 in Martinique and French Mercure at Novotel in Vietnam. He is now the executive chef at the InterContinental New York Barclay.