This recipe was actually the result of a happy accident. I wanted to make my favorite standard chicken salad — mayo, celery, walnuts — but when I got home after a long day I realized I was out of mayo... and walnuts. And I really, really didn't want to go back out to the store (you know what that's like). So I improvised with what I did have on-hand: balsamic vinegar and arugula. The result? A Delicious, simple, and oh-so easy sandwich.
- 1/2 Whole roasted chicken, meat removed and chopped
- 3 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 Slices multigrain bread
- 1 cup baby arugula
- Add the chicken pieces to a small mixing bowl.
- Add the vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and pepper and mix to full incorporate all of the ingredients, seasoning to taste.
- Meanwhile, toast 4 pieces of multi-grain bread.
- When the bread is ready, add about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of chicken salad to each sandwich.
- Top both sandwiches with about a 1/2 cup of arugula.