Chef Cruz puts a twist on two classic American comforts with the Mac & Cheese Pancake. Each bite melds fluffy pancake with cheesy goodness, adding a delicate drizzle of Vermont maple syrup on top. Make it to satisfy a pesky hunger craving any time of day, or to switch up your everyday breakfast routine.
Mac & Cheese Sauce
- 1 pound butter
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 gallon milk
- 1 pint mild cheddar cheese
- 1 pint sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 pint gouda cheese
- 1 pint Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
Mac & Cheese Pancake Batter
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 Egg
- 3 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 quart macaroni pasta
- 1 quart macaroni sauce
- 1 quart Mac & Cheese Sauce
Mac & Cheese Sauce- Step 1:
- Place butter in saucepan until melted then add flour and cook until blonde light brown color.
- Add milk and whisk until all lumps are smooth.
- Cook for about 5-8 minutes. For the ideal consistency, it should coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Add cheese one pint at a time.
- Use whisk to smooth out the lumps.
Mac & Cheese Pancake Batter- Step 1:
- Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl and mix with whisk until all lumps are smooth.
- Mix cheese sauce, and macaroni together in separate mixing bowl.
- Spray muffin mold (use 2 1/2 inch molds) with cooking spray and place 1 teaspoon of pancake batter on the bottom of the mold.
- Then add 2 tablespoons of macaroni mixture on top
- Finish off with 1 teaspoon of pancake batter and sprinkle with cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Makes 24 and serves 12 (2 per person).
Chef Cruz, a graduate of the Art Institute of New York, worked for years in catering and as a private chef, experiences he now channels into his executive chef role at The Orchard House. Cruz relies heavily on technique and tradition he learned through cooking with his grandmother and mother, and pays homage to these mentors through the new twists he brings to the New American comfort food he is creating at The Orchard House.