This spread can be used as a dip or a sandwich ingredient. The condiment was first created in the late 1800's by a Louisville caterer named Jennie C. Benedict. Although this recipe can look strange and moldy to outsiders, it is staple of the Kentucky Derby.
- 1 Large cucumber
- 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoon grated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- Dash green food coloring (optional)
- Pare, grate, and drain cucumber. Combine with remaining ingredients in food processor.
- Serve as is or as a sandwich or canape spread. Thin with sour cream to make a dip for vegetables.