The holiday season can get hectic, but let’s not forget about all of the great cookie recipes that come along with this time of year. Prepare cookie dough beforehand and freeze it- then take it out when you have time to bake! Don’t make this time of year more stressful than it needs to be with complicated dessert recipes- cookies are easy and delicious. Take some classic holiday flavors, peppermint and chocolate, and combine then into one delicious dessert and make these peppermint bark cookies!
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup peppermint chips, or peppermint bark chopped into pieces (candy canes can be used too)
- 1/4 cup crushed candy canes or mints
- White chocolate for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cream the butter and sugars together at medium speed until well incorporated.
- Add the egg and the vanilla extract.. Be sure to scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl halfway through.
- Stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder. Add to the butter mixture slowly, and stop once it is all incorporated- don’t overmix
- Gently stir in the peppermint chips.
- Take small spoonfuls of the dough and roll into one inch sized balls and place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Let cool on the pan for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dip in melted white chocolate and then into the crushed peppermint.
- Place on wire rack to set the chocolate.