B.Smith is the author of "B. Smith's Entertaining and Cooking for Friends" and "Rituals of Celebrations."
- 3 cup of whole grain penne pasta
- 1/4 ounce cup/container fat-free egg substitute
- 2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, optional
- 1 cup grated 75 percent light cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fat-free non dairy slices, fine cut
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, beat together the egg substitute, evaporated milk, melted butter or margarine, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and cayenne pepper in a medium sized bow.
- Drain macaroni thoroughly. Layer the macaroni, cheddar and non dairy slices, fine cut in a 1 1/2 quart oven proof dish, ending with a layer of cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture over it, and bake for 35 minutes until golden brown and bubbling. Serve immediately.