US Embassy in Saudi Arabia says potential missile attack in capital city is no longer imminent

Saudi Arabia has been under periodic attack by Iranian-backed Houthi rebels from Yemen

The U.S. Embassy in Saudi Arabia said a potential attack using "missiles or drones" in the country's capital city was no longer imminent on Wednesday.

In an updated security alert, the U.S. State Department said it was "no longer tracking reports of missiles/drones headed toward Riyadh."

"Exercise increased caution in Saudi Arabia due to terrorism and the threat of missile and drone attacks on civilian targets," it said.

JAMAL KHASHOGGI’S FIANCE AND THE PRO-DEMOCRACY GROUP HE FOUNDED SUE SAUDI CROWN PRINCE MBS IN A US COURT

Hours earlier, the embassy had shared a security alert warning Americans of a potential attack that may be launched in Riyadh.

“The Embassy urges American citizens to stay alert, and to immediately review and take necessary precautions,” the warning stated. “If you hear a loud explosion or if sirens are activated, immediately seek cover."

The statement did not say who might be responsible for the attack.

The US Embassy in Riyadh issued the warning Wednesday.

The US Embassy in Riyadh issued the warning Wednesday.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Saudi Arabia has in recent years been under periodic attack by Iranian-backed Houthi rebels from Yemen, where a civil war has raged since 2014. 

Last year, a drone and missile attack damaged the Saudi Aramco oil-processing facilities, which the U.S. military blamed on Iran