Published November 20, 2014
Serbia has asked U.N. war crimes prosecutors to hand over evidence against two Croatian generals whose convictions have been overturned, reigniting tensions between the two Balkan states.
Ante Gotovina and Mladen Markac were released earlier this month by a U.N. war crimes court after the appeals judges reversed convictions for atrocities, including the murder of hundreds of Serbs and the illegal deportation of hundreds of thousands of them during a 1995 Croatian military offensive known as Operation Storm.
Serbia's war crimes prosecutor said Monday officials have asked U.N. prosecutors to hand over evidence used in the trial of the two generals.
Serbia has said it opened its own investigation of war crimes committed during the offensive. Croat officials say they will investigate the events, but not the two generals.