KABUL, Afghanistan – NATO says a roadside bomb has killed a coalition service member in eastern Afghanistan.
NATO says the attack took place on Monday, but did not provide the nationality of the service member or give the exact location of the blast.
Thirty-one service members with the international coalition have been killed so far this year. Last year was the deadliest of the nearly decade-long war for international troops, with more than 700 killed, compared to just over 500 in 2009, previously the worst of the war.
The U.S. plans to begin withdrawing troops from Afghanistan in July, and NATO soldiers are scheduled to pull out of the country by 2014, handing over responsibility for the country's security to Afghan forces.