Published November 17, 2014
The Philippine military says suspected al-Qaida-linked militants have abducted a Filipino engineer. He is the third kidnap victim since December in a restive southern island province.
Lt. Col. Randolph Cabangbang says Abu Sayyaf gunmen seized Virgilio Fernandez on Friday in Basilan province's Lamitan township. Police say the engineer's company is building a road there.
Cabangbang said Saturday that there was no immediate ranson demand.
He says the same group of gunmen also seized a resort owner in December and a teenage student last month and have demanded ransom for their release. They are still being held.
The Abu Sayyaf has been blacklisted by the U.S. as terrorist organization involved in bombings, kidnappings and beheadings.