DUBAI, United Arab Emirates – Supporters of the Islamic State extremist organization have released a video claiming responsibility for the shooting of a Danish citizen in the Saudi capital Riyadh last month.
The Al-Battar Media Foundation's video shows an unidentified gunman pulling up beside a vehicle and firing several times at the driver. The video identifies the target as Thomas Hopner. It was not immediately possible to confirm the authenticity of the video.
Saudi security officials had said that a Danish man was shot while driving home from work on Nov. 22 and that he was treated for shoulder wounds. Security officials did not release his name and said the incident was under investigation.
Islamic State group leaders have called on supporters in Saudi Arabia and elsewhere to launch attacks on local security forces and Western targets.