Published November 20, 2014
An Ivory Coast official says gunmen have freed 100 inmates from a prison in the latest attack on the country's military.
Kouassi Kakao, a spokesman for the military chief of staff, said all 150 inmates had been temporarily freed from the prison in the town of Dabou, but that 50 have since been recaptured.
Officials said the attack began at 11 p.m. Wednesday night with the storming of a military checkpoint in Dabou, and that sporadic gunfire could still be heard Thursday morning.
The attack was the sixth targeting Ivory Coast's military in less than two weeks. At least 11 soldiers have been killed in the violence.
Ivory Coast officials have blamed the attacks on rogue soldiers and loyalists of former President Laurent Gbagbo.