TORONTO – Canada's foreign minister has warned Egypt that the detention of two Canadians without charges for the past several weeks is a significant threat to relations between the two countries.
Foreign Minister John Baird said Tuesday that he told his Egyptian counterpart on Friday that in "no uncertain terms" it is unacceptable. He says Canada's prime minister has directed that all resources be brought to bear to secure their release.
Tarek Loubani and John Greyson are on a hunger strike. The two have been held without charges since mid-August. They say they went to watch the protests a few blocks from their Cairo hotel and witnessed dozens of protesters being killed at the height of violent protests last month. They say they've been beaten and subjected to degrading treatment.
Egyptian authorities extended their detention for another 45 days on Sunday.