KABUL, Afghanistan – An Afghan soldier opened fire on NATO troops at the Kandahar airfield on Tuesday, wounding three soldiers, Afghan officials said.
The three wounded were Slovakian troops, said Kandahar airfield commander Gen. Abdul Raziq Sherzai. Slovakia guards the important base in southern Afghanistan.
The shooter was taken into custody after the morning incident and was questioned, said Kandahar government spokesman, Javid Faisal.
Faisal said a preliminary investigation indicates the shooting was an "accident" rather than a so-called insider attack.
Officials had initially said the Afghan soldier fired on Americans and that there had been no casualties.
The NATO-led coalition would only confirm an attack in southern Afghanistan, and referred all other questions to Afghan authorities leading the investigation.
There have been a string of insider attacks recently, with Afghan forces opening fire on their comrades or international forces. The attacks threaten to shake the confidence of the two sides as the 2014 deadline approaches for the withdrawal of most of the international troops from Afghanistan.