Published November 17, 2014
Albanian police say four children have died in their beds, apparently poisoned by fumes caused by a small fire, after their mother left them alone to sing at a nightclub.
The children, aged between 6 and 13, were found by their mother early Thursday when she came back from work in the village of Sukth, some 15 miles (25 kilometers) from the capital Tirana, police said.
Spokeswoman Ornela Cako said an unattended candle, being used during a power cut, set fire to a table and a television set. The fire burnt out but a preliminary investigation found that the sleeping children were killed by fumes.
The mother, who was not arrested, worked at the nightclub to support her children after separating from their father, police said.
Albania suffers frequent power cuts.