Print Print    Close Close

24 dead, 6 missing in Philippine tropical storm

Published November 20, 2014

Associated Press

The death toll from a tropical storm that swept through the central Philippines before heading toward Vietnam has risen to at least 24 with six people missing, officials said Saturday.

Additional reports of casualties were received by the Office of Civil Defense overnight Friday. Half of the fatalities were drowning victims of floods that hit the central and southern Philippines, the agency reported.

Civil Defense chief Benito Ramos said three of nine people who had been missing were found alive.

More than 30,000 people stranded at seaports and airports since early in the week have resumed their journeys after Tropical Storm Son-Tinh left the Philippines late Friday.

The storm gained strength as it blew westward toward Vietnam at 14 miles per hour with sustained winds of 53 mph and maximum winds of 62 mph.

Weather forecaster Fernando Cada said the storm could still become a typhoon over the South China Sea and could hit the northern coast of Vietnam by Sunday.

Print Print    Close Close

URL

https://www.foxnews.com/world/24-dead-6-missing-in-philippine-tropical-storm

  • Home
  • Video
  • Politics
  • U.S.
  • Opinion
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Science
  • Health
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Sports
  • Weather
  • Privacy
  • Terms

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. © FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. Market data provided by Factset. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. Legal Statement. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by LSEG. Do Not Sell my Personal Information - New Terms of Use - FAQ