Published November 20, 2015
New York City officials said Friday that construction debris from the World Trade Center site will be sifted to identify human remains from the 9/11 terrorist attacks starting Monday.
In a memo sent to family members of 9/11 victims, Deputy Mayor Cas Holloway said DNA testing will continue until every possible identification can be made. The sifting is expected to continue for about 10 weeks on Staten Island.
"We will continue with DNA testing until all recovered remains that can be matched with a victim are identified," Holloway said in the memo, which was obtained by the New York Daily News.
City officials say about 60 truckloads of construction debris have been collected around the site over the past 2½ years. A skyscraper will replace the twin towers.
Some 2,750 people died at the World Trade Center in the 2001 attacks. So far, 1,634 people have been identified.
The chief medical examiner's office is leading the operation. It has identified 34 victims and 2,345 possible human remains of previously identified victims since 2006.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.