Published November 17, 2014
Natural gas can be deadly if ignited by a flame or spark or if mixed with certain concentrations of air. Signs of a gas leak include a strong odor similar to rotten eggs and a roaring or hissing sound. The sight of bubbles in standing water, blowing dust or plants that appears to be dead for no reason are also signs of a possible leak.
If you suspect you have a gas leak, you should:
-- Leave your home immediately and take others with you
-- Open windows before you leave your house if the odor is faint
-- Call your gas company to report a suspected leak once you have evacuated the building
If you suspect you have a gas leak, you should not:
-- light a match or use lighters
-- activate light switches, electrical appliances, flashlights, doorbells, garage door openers, or telephones (including cellular), as they could create a spark.
-- start a car
-- re-enter your building until gas company inspectors have declared it safe