Wash. sniper was recently divorced military vet

A sniper killed in a shootout with police about 50 miles north of Seattle was described Wednesday as a disabled military veteran who was recently divorced and had mental health problems.

Robert Edward Endrizzi, 60, died from multiple gunshot wounds, the Snohomish County medical examiner's office said.

Two deputies are on leave for the investigation into Sunday's shooting, said Snohomish County sheriff's spokeswoman Shari Ireton. They were part of the SWAT team that responded to a sniper wounding one man and shooting several vehicles.

Investigators aren't ready to comment on what may have led to the shooting, Ireton said Wednesday.

Endrizzi's mother told KOMO News (http://is.gd/7B72X0) that her son had worked in the medical field but retired after a motorcycle accident. She said he had mental health problems.

"He was bipolar and taking medications and that led to conflicts sometimes," Kathleen Endrizzi said.

The recently divorced veteran moved to the Arlington area in January, The Daily Herald reported (http://is.gd/fDgK4V).

He liked to practice shooting firearms on his property, but that's not unusual in the area, neighbors said.

"They shoot around here a lot," said neighbor Linda Purtteman who wasn't alarmed when she first heard Sunday's gunfire.

It apparently began when a man in his 20s was shot in his calf in his driveway. The man heard gunfire, sent his family inside the house for safety and was struck by a bullet minutes later, Ireton said. The man, whose name was not disclosed, was treated at an Arlington hospital and released.

That was followed by reports of bullets hitting cars.

One couple was driving through the neighborhood when their car was struck by several bullets, including one that shattered a window, Ireton said. The couple drove to a nearby military installation where they reported the shooting to guards at the gate.

More than 100 officers including a SWAT team responded and Endrizzi was killed in a shootout that Ireton described as an intense few minutes in which a lot of shots were fired on both sides.

The number of shots led police to believe a second sniper might have been involved. It took hours to secure the area.

Police said they have recovered Endrizzi's weapon, a Ruger .22 caliber rifle. Endrizzi was killed Sunday, but his body was not removed until Monday, authorities have said.

Jeff Huleatt, an Arlington School Board member and dentist, lives on adjoining property to Endrizzi's, with trees and a hillside screening them from each other.

He didn't have much contact with his new neighbor, but it didn't take long for Endrizzi to question the accuracy of property lines and mention plans to dig a pond that could change the drainage onto Huleatt's land, The Daily Herald reported.

One time Huleatt had a conversation with Endrizzi after his new neighbor drove a tractor through his electric fence and removed blackberry bushes on Huleatt's property.

"We had a very civil exchange, but he had a different attitude about things," Huleatt said. "It left me feeling very uneasy. He could be defiant, but not overtly."

Endrizzi mentioned that he had served in the U.S. Army in the 1970s and spent time in Korea, Huleatt said.

Court papers show Endrizzi filed for bankruptcy protection in 2003. Records show he was on permanent disability and his wife at the time was a homemaker. The documents didn't describe the nature of the disability.

He was receiving a $2,429-a-month veteran's disability check as well as $999 from Social Security. Creditors included collection agencies, medical clinics and mental health providers.