The latest on Philadelphia officer's death: Slain cop engaged in 'fierce' gun battle

11:30 a.m.

Philadelphia police say the officer killed in a shootout with two would-be robbers at a video game store engaged in a "fierce" gun battle.

Police on Friday identified the two gunmen arrested in the fatal shooting as brothers, 30-year-old Carlton Hipps and 26-year-old Ramone Williams. They are charged with murder and attempted murder.

Police say the two did not know Officer Robert Wilson was in the GameStop store.

They say Wilson was at the counter when they entered late Thursday afternoon. He was shot in the body and head during the ensuing exchange of gunfire.

As Hipps left the store, police say he was shot in the leg by Wilson's partner.

Police Capt. James Clark says Wilson engaged in a "fierce" gun battle and was "a hero and an absolute warrior" trying to protect patrons and employees in the store.


11:15 A.M.

Gov. Tom Wolf is ordering all Pennsylvania flags at the state Capitol complex and at state facilities in Philadelphia in honor of the officer.

Wolf said Friday he invites all Pennsylvania to participate in the tribute.

Philadelphia police have charged two brothers with murder in the case, including one who was on parole for robbery.

Police say the 30-year-old Wilson was killed Thursday afternoon at a video game store where he'd gone to buy a present to reward his 9-year-old son for getting good grades.

The governor says flags will remain at half-staff until sunset on the day of Wilson interment.


9:30 A.M.

Philadelphia's police commissioner says two brothers have been charged with murder in the death of an officer who was gunned down during a video game store robbery.

Commissioner Charles Ramsey said Friday morning that one suspect is a 24-year-old with a prior arrest for aggravated assault. His 29-year-old brother is on parole for robbery.

Ramsey says the 30-year-old officer was in a north Philadelphia GameStop buying a video game for his son when two suspects entered and announced a robbery. The eight-year veteran was shot multiple times, but was able to wound one of the suspects.

Wilson died two hours later.