Published May 20, 2016
The Latest on the investigation of an 11-year-old Houston boy's murder (all times local):
Houston police say the murder charge against a 31-year-old man has been dismissed after investigators found evidence that he was in a south Houston suburb Tuesday afternoon when 11-year-old Josue Flores was attacked while walking home from school.
Che Calhoun was arrested the following day after he fit a description of the attacker as provided by witnesses. Calhoun also had been wanted for an assault and evading arrest for an incident Monday not far from the boy's neighborhood just north of downtown Houston.
Houston Homicide Lt. Robert Blain said Friday that one witness identified Calhoun from a photo lineup as the boy's attacker. Calhoun was arrested Wednesday and denied any involvement. Blain says police found evidence to support that alibi and the boy's killer remains at large.
Calhoun remains jailed on the assault and evading arrest charges.
A murder charge has been dropped against a man who had been accused of fatally stabbing an 11-year-old Houston boy as the child walked home from school this week.
Harris County District Attorney's Office spokesman Jeff McShan says police have determined 31-year-old Che Lajuan Calhoun is not responsible for Josue (hoh-SWAY') Flores' slaying.
McShan said Friday police had the "wrong guy." He says police would provide additional information at a news conference later Friday.
Police have said Josue was stabbed Tuesday in an unprovoked attack. Calhoun was arrested the next day.
He also was charged with evading arrest and assault after authorities said Calhoun was in a fight earlier this week and fled from police. It wasn't immediately clear whether those have been dropped.
A funeral mass for Josue is scheduled for next week.
This story has been corrected to show that the murder count was dropped, not murder charges.