Sheriff: Fire kills 5 in Ind. mobile home; Wood stove was sole source of heat, eyed as cause

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

A southern Indiana sheriff says a mobile home fire that killed two children and three adults was likely sparked by a wood stove — the home's sole source of heat.

Crawford County Sheriff Tim Wilkerson says the fire early Thursday near the remote rural community of Sulphur killed the man who owned the mobile home, his 8-year-old daughter, his girlfriend and her 3-year-old son. The man's half brother also died in the blaze.

Wilkerson says the homeowner's father, who lives nearby, tried to rescue his son and the others but was driven back by intense flames.

The homeowner's brother says there was a furnace in the mobile home but that his brother wasn't using it because it cost too much to run.

Sulphur is 30 miles west of Louisville, Ky.