Records: Pregnant woman recants ID of rape suspect

A pregnant woman who police say was raped after three men kicked in her door and while her 9-year-old was nearby has recanted her story about the only suspect arrested in the case, according to court records.

The records indicate there was an "identification issue" pertaining to the 22-year-old man charged in the case.

Police say three armed men kicked in the door of the women's third-floor Central Falls apartment on Saturday while the 27-year-old woman was asleep with her son. The woman, who is seven months pregnant, was threatened at gunpoint, and one of the men raped her in a bathroom, police Capt. James Mendonca said.

The boy was in the bedroom during the rape and "might have overheard something," he said. The alleged victim told WLNE-TV that her son saw "everything."

The men also took a game system and television set from the apartment, but the woman refused to tell police whether any firearms or drugs were stolen, Mendonca said. He said the stolen items have not been recovered.

The woman reported the attack to authorities at 3:10 a.m. Saturday, according to Mendonca. She suffered minor scrapes and abrasions and was taken to a hospital, where a rape kit was used to gather evidence.

No one came to the door at the victim's Central Falls apartment on Tuesday afternoon.

Central Falls police Col. Joseph Moran declined to comment on the court papers.

The man who was arrested is facing charges of felony sexual assault, felony assault with a dangerous weapon, using a dangerous weapon during commission of a violent crime, breaking and entering and possession of a firearm without a license. He was released on bail after appearing in Providence District Court on Monday and agreed to DNA testing.

He was on probation from a misdemeanor charge of receiving stolen property under $500. He pleaded no contest to that offense in July 2010.

He is due back in Providence District Court on July 11 for a probation violation hearing. He has a pre-arraignment conference on the sexual assault case on August 29. No attorney had filed an appearance for him as of Tuesday.

A telephone number listed for him has been disconnected, and no one answered the door at his apartment on Tuesday.