Good Samaritans hailed for rushing to help elderly neighbors during fire

A Texas woman is grateful for two neighbors turned good Samaritans who rushed into a burning home to rescue her elderly grandparents.

“We weren’t home,” Raelynn De Leon told KGNS-TV. “Luckily, thank God we have neighbors like that.”

The fire in Laredo, Texas, occurred Wednesday night, the station reported.

Ramiro Zamora saw the fire and called out to his nephew Jesse James Escarcega, according to the station.

“I heard screaming,” Escarcega told the station. He said he forced his way into the house through a screen door.

“There was a lot of smoke,” he said. “I was able to get her out.”

Escarcega said he tried to go back for the woman’s husband but the smoke was too thick.

“I couldn’t see and I couldn’t breathe no more,” he told the station.

Moments later, firefighters rescued the man, according to the station. He was hospitalized for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters blamed a faulty wire under a bed for the blaze, the station reported.

A teary De Leon told the station she is grateful Escarcega and Zamora are her neighbors.

“There are no words to say how thankful I am on behalf of myself and my family,” she said.