Firm to appeal Utah jury award over fatal gas fire

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

An Oklahoma company says it will appeal a $4.3 million jury award to a man whose 2-year-old daughter died from burn injuries following a gas can explosion and fire in his camping trailer in 2005.

Gas can-maker Blitz USA told The Associated Press on Monday that evidence at trial last week in Salt Lake City showed David Calder recklessly poured or splashed gasoline onto live embers in a wood stove.

Calder's attorney, Don Wider, tells AP the jury made the right decision.

He says a 5-cent piece of wire mesh inside the gas can spout would have kept vapors from exploding.

The company insists the container didn't explode, and that Calder had enough time to get his daughter out of the trailer in the 2005 fire.