SNELLVILLE, Ga. – Authorities say a 2-year-old Dachshund had to be put down after being hit by a car, and the dog's owners admitted to police that they fed the animal LSD before the accident.
The dog, whose name was Oscar, had been adopted from a local animal shelter just a week earlier.
Snellville police say on Sunday night, they received a report of a man and woman who were seen running naked down Pinehurst Road.
When officers arrived, they found 25-year-old Nicholas Modrich and his girlfriend, Jamie Hughes, inside a home. When Modrich opened the door to the home, he was still naked, and officers said they could see marijuana and drug paraphernalia in plain view.
Oscar the dog was missing from the home at the time. The couple told police they had taken acid, smoked marijuana, and drank alcohol. They also said they had given their dog acid.
Modrich's mother arrived at the house a short time later with the injured dog. Police say she had gotten a call that he had been hit by a car on a nearby street, and she went to pick him up. Oscar later had to be put down due to his injuries.
Animal control officers are testing the dog to see if he indeed ingested the drugs as his owners claim. According to the police report, Modrich adopted Oscar on October 25 from a local shelter.