5 PA students injured in science experiment explosion

Five PA students were injured in a science lab fire Wednesday at Wilson Middle School near Carlisle, Cumberland County, due to an experiment involving rubbing alcohol.

Cumberland County Public Information Officer Megan Silverstrim said two students were flown from the scene. They are being taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Md. Three other burn victims, along with the students and teacher suffering from smoke inhalation, were taken to Carlisle Regional Medical Center, reports abc27.

School officials are calling the incident a fire; however one student said he heard a popping noise followed by students running out of the classroom. He said some students did not have shirts on because they had been burned, reports abc27.

Twenty five students were in the eighth grade science class when the experiment sparked the fire. Crews were able to extinguish the fire quickly.

The school, which houses students from sixth through eighth grade, will be dismissed at the regular time. Parents who wish to retrieve their children from the school are allowed do so.

Silverstrim had no information about the children's medical condition.

School district officials have not returned messages seeking information about the incident.