Texas Student Dies of Bacterial Meningitis

Two students at Texas Southern University have contracted bacterial meningitis.

A spokesperson for the school told Fox station KRIV in Houston that one student died on Thursday, March 29.

The other student remained hospitalized on Monday.

It is unknown if either student lived on the school's campus.

TSU says the school is collaborating with the Houston Department of Health and Human Services to identify those who may have been close to the infected students.

The school is offering preventive antibiotics to students on Monday and Tuesday in the TSU Health Center.

Bacterial meningitis, also known as acute meningitis, mostly occurs in children, although anyone can contract it. If caught early, it can be treated with antibiotics.

The National Institute of Health estimates there are 17,500 cases of bacterial meningitis every year.