Teen Dead in Tennessee High School Shooting in Cafeteria, Suspect in Custody

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Police in Tennessee have identified the victim of a deadly high school shooting in Knoxville.

Fifteen-year-old Ryan McDonald was a sophomore who lived with his grandmother and had a condition that left him bald and the target of endless teasing as a child.

The shooting happened in the school's cafeteria before classes started this morning. Police say the suspected shooter was taken into custody minutes later on a nearby street.

Authorities haven't identified the suspect. The district superintendent says the suspect knew the victim. Police say the shooting wasn't a random act.

Students who witnessed the incident described the scene. Fifteen-year-old Chad Griffin says there was "blood everywhere" and McDonald started "walking and holding his chest." Griffin says he was hit by McDonald's arm as he fell over.

The suspect and victim knew each other, Knox County School System Superintendent Bill McIntyre said.

Click here for photos.

"This wasn't a shooting that was a random act," Roehl said. "It was an individual directing his aggression toward another individual, not the school or the students inside the school."

The cafeteria was a popular place to gather before classes started at 8:30 a.m., students said. Chad Griffin, 15, and Josh Matthews, 14, said that they were sitting about 10 feet away from the victim and talking when they heard a sharp noise.

Griffin at first thought someone had dropped a book and then looked around.

"He got shot and started walking and he was holding his chest. There was blood everywhere. And then he fell and his arm hit me," Griffin said.

Matthews said he thought it was a fake at first but then realized the shooting was real.

"I took off running and ran outside and called my mom," Matthews said.

Students in the cafeteria began crying and scrambling to leave, while others tried to get in the room, thinking they had missed a fight, witnesses said. Students began to gather around the victim, said freshman Jared Wohlford, 14. "Everybody started running out real fast saying, 'He got shot,"' he said.

Authorities haven't released the names of the victim, who died at University of Tennessee Medical Center, or the suspect. No other students were injured.

The school, which has about 1,400 students, was placed on lockdown after the shooting. Classes were dismissed and students were bused to a nearby church so they could be picked up by their parents.

Click here for more on this story from MyFOXMemphis.com.