STATESVILLE, NC – Authorities said Monday they caught a fourth suspect in a weekend slaying, ending a manhunt that prompted a lockdown at seven schools.
Iredell County Sheriff's Lt. Darren Campbell said Monday the schools were locked down as a precaution, in case there was any gunfire in the vicinity of the schools as deputies searched for the suspect.
Campbell said police had been looking for a suspect in a wooded area near the schools, about 25 miles north of Charlotte.
Schools spokeswoman Dawn Creason said the outer school doors were locked at two high, two middle and three elementary schools, with classes continuing inside.
Creason said she wasn't sure if the lockdown had been lifted following the suspect's capture.
Campbell said two suspects in the weekend slaying were arrested Sunday. A third was arrested earlier Monday. He refused to release any other details about the slaying.