KABUL, Afghanistan – A suicide attacker detonated his explosives-filled car Wednesday near a military convoy in Kandahar, killing one and wounding nine — including two Canadian soldiers, Afghan and coalition officials said.
The troops were on their way back from a patrol in a light-armored vehicle when they were hit by the attacker's car around 7:30 p.m. in Kandahar city, said coalition spokesman Maj. Quentin Innis.
The attacker was killed and two Canadian soldiers were wounded, he said.
An Afghan bystander was also killed and seven others injured, said governor's spokesman Dawood Ahmadi.
The wounded included one policeman and six civilians, who were taken to Mir Wais Hospital, said Dr. Aziz Khan.
An Associated Press reporter saw the burning carcass of the attacker's vehicle sitting on the main road through Kandahar. Blackened pieces were scattered over the highway.
Earlier in the day, a roadside bomb had hit a military convoy in the Shahwali Kot district of Kandahar province, leaving four Canadian troops injured, military officials said.
Two Afghan men who were seen running from a spot near the bombing were chased down and detained, Innis said.
One of the soldiers in that bombing was seriously wounded, he said. The other three are in stable condition in Kandahar city, he said.