Tony Darrisaw was a "mama's boy" who loved to help out in the kitchen, said the mother of the 12-year-old who was shot and killed while trick-or-treating on Halloween.

The State newspaper of Columbia reported Sunday that Daphne Grinnell said Tony was a wonderful child who liked to be in the kitchen with her and to cook and bake.

"He loved to cook cake and pies as long as he could lick the bowl," Grinnell said.

"He was a wonderful child," said Grinnell, who tried administering first-aid while talking to a 911 dispatcher. "He was just having fun, running from house to house trick-or-treating."

T.J., as he was called, died of a gunshot wound to the head at Tuomey Regional Medical Center shortly after the 8:30 p.m. shooting.

His brother, 9-year-old Ahmadre Darrisaw, was shot in the leg and the side, and his father, 31-year-old Freddie Grinnell Jr., was shot in the arm and grazed in the stomach, family members said. Both were released from Tuomey Regional Medical Center early Saturday, Sumter Police Chief Patty Patterson said.

Reports indicate T.J. had been shot 13 times.

"Blood was everywhere," said his mother, who had been waiting in the family's van when the shooting happened. "He was breathing and his legs was moving and when I pulled his mask off he had a bullet hole over his eye."

Grinnell was told by a 911 dispatcher to apply pressure to his head, but couldn't stop the bleeding.

"I started freaking out because nothing was happening," she said. She ran back to the van and found Ahmadre was inside and had been shot in the leg. A woman gave her something to try and tie around her son's leg.

Patterson did not return a telephone call seeking additional comment on Sunday. The family did not respond to a request for an interview with The Associated Press.

Quentin L. Patrick, 22, is charged with murder and three counts of assault and battery with intent to kill, Patterson said.

Patrick has multiple convictions for possession with intent to distribute, is a felon and is prohibited from possessing a firearm, police said.

First Assistant U.S. Attorney Kevin McDonald said Saturday he will ask the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to investigate. Patrick and his live-in girlfriend, 19-year-old Ericka Patrice Pee, are being held at Sumter-Lee Regional Detention Center.

They were home with her 2-year-old daughter and tried to leave after the shootings, after grabbing $7,500 in bundled cash, police said. Pee is charged with obstruction of justice.

"Patrick admitted to law enforcement that he fired his AK-47 weapon, emptying the weapon," Patterson said. "Patrick advised law enforcement that he had been shot before and would not be shot again." He also feared being robbed, he told police.